The BUILDING DEMOCRACY THROUGH THEATRE project 2018-2021 invites submissions of written and creative research for our upcoming anthology, to be launched at the project’s Conference in 2021.
The anthology aims to share research produced by artists, teachers, researchers and postgraduate students. The project encourages collaborative and intersectional work between project partners and across cultures.
All contributions should be framed within the shared intention of using theatre to (re)imagine democracies in various contexts. We are looking for work that challenges post-democratic conditions and that engages in critical conversation between the North and South.
The Project Manifest (https://www.democracythroughtheatre.com/project-documents/) should act as a unifying fulcrum, inspiring contributions for the anthology.
We encourage contributions that work with theatre as focus of study and/or as method of inquiry by:
Gaining understanding of theatre as a complex multimodal communication platform.
Expanding embodied knowledge of specific human issues through theatre as communication medium
Promoting education, transformation and healing when immersed in theatre as experiential transformational context.
These can include reports, analyses, case studies, intervention designs, creative expressions and other submission formats that relate to:
- Methodology, dramaturgy and/or production formats that are responsive to site and context
- Applied drama and theatre interventions and investigations related to the project theme
- The public reception and impact of applied drama and theatre practice
- Power, agency and expression related to democratic topics; post-apartheid, conflicts, diversity, marginality/inclusion, migration, health, disability etc.
- Unpublished article submissions of up to six thousand (6000) words. Harvard Referencing Style.
- Creative research submissions can take the form of anything from play script to video documentary as long as it can be disseminated in digital format. And should include a framing document of 500-700 words outlining:
o The aim(s) and purpose of the work
o Your role in relation to the work (e.g. director, actor, set designer, facilitator, etc.)
o The context in which it was created
o A description of its content
o A brief discussion of the conceptual and scholarly framework in which the work should be considered and
o The extent to which it speaks to the theme of the anthology: Building democracy through theatre in post democratic contexts.
Submission will happen in two phases:
1. Abstract Submissions
- Abstracts must be submitted for all contributions.
- Abstracts (250 words) and Author(s) biography (100 words) for the proposed contribution should be submitted by 1 September 2019.
- Responses to abstract submissions will be provided by end of October 2019.
2. Final Submissions
- Final submissions will close on 1 August 2020.
o For written contributions: Please send your article submissions as a PDF document attached to an email with a brief abstract (250 words), and author(s) bio.
o For creative submissions: Please send your framing document and work that is in text or document form (e.g. play script or photo journal) as a PDF document. For work that is not in document form, please include links to where the work can be viewed. Attach PDF documents to an email with a brief abstract (250 words), and author(s) bio.
- Responses to final submissions will be provided by end of September 2020, followed by a revision period.
- A reviewing committee will be established by the editors
The anthology will be edited by the project leaders, Petro Janse van Vuuren and Bjørn Rasmussen as well as creative research editor Nondumiso Msimanga.